The best hair powder for styling: All you need to know
Hair powder for volume and styling has risen in popularity in recent years, thanks to its amazing ability to add instant volume and thickness wherever you need it. If you’re suffering with fine, flat locks, then hair powders can be your saving grace in giving you the extra lift you’ve been craving.
But with seemingly so many different types to choose from, how do you know which is the best hair powder for volume? Thankfully Nanogen, the experts in thicker hair, are here to help with the lowdown on how to find your perfect match.
What is hair styling powder?
Hair styling powders are little pots of pure texture and volume! When applied directly to the roots, they add texture and grit which gives lift and height to fine, thin hair. Some formulas are also designed to cover balding spots.
One of the huge benefits of using hair powders for styling is that it enables the user to create hairstyles that their hair would normally be too fine or ‘slippery’ for, including festival braids and chic chignons.
Although there are some with spray applicators, the majority of powder for hair come in jar form (like a salt shaker!) which allow you to tap out a small amount of product directly to the root. They are usually very finely milled to avoid clogging up and looking chunky in the hair.
Best hair powder for styling
With so many different brands on the market, there are dozens of formulas all promising instant thickness and volume. However, there is one ingredient that stands above the rest when it comes to adding texture without compromising the health of your hair: Keratin.
Hair powders for styling that are made of 100% natural keratin will always give the most natural-looking volume to thin hair. Because they are made from the same protein that our hair is made of, they work harmoniously with the hair, creating seamless, invisible height. Not only that, but the natural ingredient won’t cause irritation or redness like other man-made chemicals might.
The other benefit of using a keratin hair powder is that they can conceal any thinning spots or baldness. Because they come in an assortment of shades, keratin styling powders provide undetectable coverage, as well as instant, natural-looking volume.
As well as choosing a hair dust with top-notch ingredients, it’s important to bear in mind the other features to ensure you get the very best hair styling powder.
There are some powders that use unique electrostatic energy to help bind the product directly to the hair. Because our hair is positively charged, a negatively charged powder is attracted to strands that stay put for much longer than a product with no charge.
If you are opting for a coloured keratin dust, it’s important to choose one that perfectly matches your hair, so as not to look too obvious. Look for a ‘Colour Lock Technology’ promise which will ensure the dye does not run or stain, particularly if you get caught in a downpour!
For an in-depth look at some of the top selling hair styling powders on the market, check out our Toppik vs Caboki vs Nanogen comparison.
How to use hair powder for styling
Using a hair styling powder is relatively simple. The most important thing to remember is less is more. It’s best to start with less and work your way to the volume you want, as applying way too much can be messy! Just follow these simple steps for hassle-free thickness:
- Apply a small amount to the roots of dry hair, focusing on where you want extra height.
- If you are wanting to conceal thin spots, add a little to these areas. This could be along the parting, at the crown, or even around the hairline.
- Gently blend in the powder with your fingers, working it in until it becomes seamless.
- Add more if necessary, but remember, less is more.
- Style as desired and you’re good to go!
The best hair powders for styling will last all day, and are easily washed out with shampoo.
Hair powder for styling: Tips and tricks
To the uninitiated, using hair powder for styling may seem relatively straightforward. But there are quite a few tips and tricks to get the best results.
- Once applied, use your fingers to drag the powder throughout the length of your hair to give amazing volume from root to tip.
- Use a coloured keratin powder to fill in gaps and sparseness along the hairline. This will help it look more even and instantly thicker, particularly when wearing a ponytail or updo.
- Coloured hair powder can also be used to conceal hair extension clips with ease! Simply sprinkle over the clip and conceal the most visible areas. This allows you to wear your hair in lots of different styles without worrying about your extensions showing.
Pros and cons of using a hair powder for styling
There are some incredible benefits of using hair powder for styling, but as with every styling product, there are some cons. Find out our list of pros and cons below and see how they stack up!
- They provide amazing volume and thickness, even for thinning and fine hair textures.
- The volume lasts all day without having to touch up.
- They’re not aerosols which can be harmful to our lungs and the environment.
- Most powders come in handy sizes for on the go travel.
- Unlike some other formulas, it doesn’t weigh hair down.
- For first-time users, they can be tricky to apply. Remember, practice makes perfect.
- It’s easy to use too much. Start off with a little product and build up if you need more.
- Some powders don’t blend in well with hair. Make sure you find one that looks seamless without leaving sticky residue.
If you’re struggling with thin, fine hair, be sure to check out our How To Make Your Hair Thicker article for all the best tips and advice.
Have you found your perfect hair powder for styling? Or are you yet to give them a try? Let us know!