HOW TO MAKE YOUR HAIR THICKER
So, we all want the answer to that million dollar question - ‘How can I make my hair thicker...fast?’ Well ask no more, science and beauty obsessed Nanogen, the UK’s leading hair thickening brand, are here to help... finally (phew)! Follow these industry wonder tips, to give your hair the best chance of becoming the luscious, thicker locks you've been dreaming of.
As experts in beautiful hair, we’ve left no stone unturned in our quest to tell you how to make your hair thicker, both instantly and over time. Although thin hair can be part of our DNA, changing our lifestyle habits and hair routine can be the ultimate key to gorgeously thick, beautiful hair. So kick back, relax, and take a look at our full rundown of tips and tricks for a magnificent mane.
Quick tips for how to get hair thicker:
- Use the right hair thickening products formulated with ingredients like keratin, salicylic acid and pro vitamin B5.
- Massage your scalp regularly to increase blood flow and stimulate the hair follicles.
- Don’t overwash your hair. Limit yourself to once every 2-3 days.
- Eat plenty of protein, omega 3, fatty acids, biotin and vitamin C to provide essential nutrients to your hair.
- Reduce stress. Make sure to check in with yourself, open up to friends and family and do things you enjoy.
How to make your hair thicker: the scalp
SO WHAT’S THE BIG DEAL ABOUT YOUR SCALP?
We’re constantly told how important it is to exfoliate and treat our skin, but what they don’t tell us is that the skin on our scalp should be treated in the very same way. Now be honest, how many face washes, moisturisers, and oils have you got in your bathroom? Don’t you think it’s time your scalp got some love?
News flash guys, your face doesn't actually stop at your hairline! You may not realise it, but to achieve superior hair thickness you need to target the scalp as well as the hair. A healthy scalp condition is so important to healthy hair growth and thicker hair, just like good soil is needed to grow a tree to its full strength and height.
Bad news alert! These days we are all prone to much more pollution on a daily basis, and that can take a real toll on our precious locks. Tiny particles of dust, smoke, and other nasties can stick to the hair and scalp, causing irritation, dryness and breakage. On top of this, dead skin cells and product build-up can sit on the scalp. Blocking or obstructing the follicles could eventually cause it to stop producing new hair. So before reaching for the nearest scouring pad, check out our top tips below!
- When you're shampooing and conditioning your hair, make sure to gently massage your scalp for at least 1-2 minutes. As well as it feeling amazing, massaging will increase the blood flow directly to your follicles. This is important for hair growth, thickness and the stimulation can even help to increase instant volume at the roots. Need some tips? Here’s a simple weekly head massage routine you can do from home.
- So you’ve invested in the right products, right? But did you know you could be doing even more damage by over washing your hair? Yep! Too much shampooing can lead to valuable essential oils and proteins being stripped away, resulting in dry strands that are prone to breakage. Ouch. One way to target this is to minimise how many times you are cleansing your hair weekly, try 2-3 times a week max. Using the right products should also result in your hair staying cleaner for longer over time - especially if you opt to go sulphate free (just remember to stick it out for a while to see the amazing benefits)!
- Your scalp needs moisture too! Many people are scared to condition their roots, but just like the skin on your face, many hair and scalp problems are caused by dehydrated skin. Having moisturised hair will minimise hair breakage and tangling, which can both lead to hair loss and reduced thickness.
- Use a product that has exfoliating properties for your scalp to unclog pores and get rid of all that styling product build up. This doesn’t necessarily need to be a new product - you can find ingredients in conditioners and shampoos, such as niacinamide and salicylic acid, which soothe and purify the scalp.
- So you’re dedicated to your weekly face mask? Why not do the double with an intense hair and scalp treatment at the same time? Look for concentrated serum or a luxurious mask to inject your tresses with some much-needed TLC for a thicker, fuller result. The perfect excuse for a pamper session? Hell yeah!
Caring for your scalp = the secret key to making your hair thicker.
How to make your hair thicker: naturally
1. BOOST YOUR NUTRITION
We know, we hear it all the time, but a balanced diet and regular exercise really is the ultimate way to look after your body and mind, with the ability to treat a whole load of issues, from weight problems to skin concerns and yes, lacklustre hair! Be your own personal trainer for your hair and put together a nutrition plan for your locks with a good balance of healthy (and the occasional not so healthy!) dishes.
Foods that are high in protein, omega 3, fatty acids, iron zinc, and biotin are going to be your saviours here. Check out our top five superfoods that you should be eating to make your hair thicker, healthier and stronger:
- Salmon : This oily fish contains ultra-high amounts of omega 3 fatty acids which promote healthy, beautiful hair. We love it baked in foil with lemon and pepper and served with baby spinach (another hair-loving powerhouse) for a fuss-free meal.
- Sweet potato : Packed with beta-carotene, this is not your ordinary, frumpy potato. A great source of vitamin A, sweet potatoes help to prevent a dry scalp and, dare we say it, dandruff. Upgrade your boring weeknight jacket potato with one of these beauties and top with a crumble of feta and sliced chilli. Perfect.
- Carrots : Another member of the beta-carotene brat pack, the much-overlooked carrot helps to condition the scalp and balance its natural oils to give super shiny results. The easiest way to get these babies in? Swap out that bag of crisps for carrot sticks and hummus. Because really, who doesn’t love hummus?
- Eggs : These babies are rich in protein and biotin, which makes them perfect, pocket-sized solutions to how to get hair thicker. Protein is key for maintaining hair’s strength, while biotin is a major factor in the product of that all-important keratin. Perfect for breakfast, lunch AND dinner, eggs are super easy to add to your diet. Up for something new? Try them in a Shakshuka!
- Spinach : We’ve all heard the term ‘Eat your greens!’ but did you know that doing so would answer the question of how to make your hair thicker? This superfood is loaded with vitamins B,C and E, as well as iron, potassium, calcium and omega-3, all of which are great for our hair. Add baby spinach to salads for a hair boost!
- Avocados : Okay, okay, we know; avocados are everywhere but listen up! Not only are these insta-friendly guys absolutely delicious and full of good fats, avocados are chock full of vitamin B and E, which help repair a damaged scalp and help speed up the healthy hair growth process. Avo on toast for brunch? We thought so.
- Oats and nuts : A handful of these are a great source of minerals and vitamins like B, D and E, resulting in the sleek, shiny locks we crave. Try making up a batch of breakfast bars packed with oats, nuts and fruit for a healthy hair champion on the go.
Dark chocolate : We couldn’t not mention this one! Dark chocolate contains copper, zinc and iron which all boost the cell renewal process and increase oxygen and blood flow to the scalp resulting in, you guessed it, healthier hair. So go on, treat yourself. We won’t tell.
2. AFTER WASHING TOP TIPS:
You're doing so much work in the treatment regime, you're eating well and exercising like an Olympian but did you know that you may actually be undoing all the hard work by handling your hair incorrectly? Do you want to know how to make your hair thicker? From brushing to drying, follow these top natural tips below to help
Ok so you may like it rough (cheeky!), but our hair certainly doesn’t when it comes to towel drying. We know it can be tempting to furiously scrub the towel all over our head when we’re fresh out the shower and in a rush. But wait! This is actually so damaging for the hair as it can break the anchoring of the hair follicle. A big no-no. Instead, gently wrap it up in a towel turban to absorb the water without causing any damage.
Here’s another one we always seem to get carried away with. Being over enthusiastic with the hairbrush can end up damaging your precious locks. Be gentle and opt for a boar bristle brush instead, which will help stimulate the scalp and distribute natural oils through your hair while detangling.
Avoid using heated styling appliances
Sometimes we really can’t avoid them, but constant use of straighteners, curling irons and hairdryers can be disastrous for your hair. As well as scorching and burning the hair, using heated tools can stretch and pull your hair out from the root, i.e. weak, brittle and not so happy hair. Give your lengths a heat-free holiday and let it air dry naturally with these easy tips:
An oldie but a goodie. Plait your hair while it’s wet, leave it to dry and let it loose to reveal beachy curls Blake Lively would be proud of.
Alternatively, for an update on the look, try tightly twisting random sections while wet and secure with pins. When it’s dry, release and run through with your fingers for totally laid back twisted tresses.
Get fuss-free style is with a headband. Pop a circular elastic headband around your head and tuck small sections around it until all your hair is wrapped around the band. Let it air dry naturally, take the band off and voila! Relaxed movement and waves with zero heat (or effort)!
For those times when you really need the sleekness, only a hair straightener can bring, make sure you generously spritz your hair all over with a heat protecting spray such as Nanogen’s Thickening Heat Protecting Spray.
Style your hair with some TLC
We agree, there’s nothing chicer than a sleek high pony, but tying your hair band too tight can actually lead to the hair shaft falling out. Switch up your harsh elastics with fabric or plastic hair ties to minimise breakage and keep your hair looking and feeling healthier. Bye bye Croydon Facelift.
Did you know that your cupboards and fridge at home are actually a treasure chest of beauty? Many ingredients just sitting in our cupboards can, in fact, be used to create at-home hair treatments to make your hair thicker naturally! Try using the following ingredient suggestions to create your very own hair natural treatment masks.
- Eggs - These natural shots of protein are perfect for a hair treatment. Mix up with yogurt and apply all over the hair to provide it with multi-tasking nutrients. Just make sure to thoroughly wash it away with cool water. Scrambled egg hair? Not such a good look.
- Oranges - Put that NutriBullet to use by blending up some fresh oranges to create a scrumptious, Vitamin C rich smoothie for your hair.
- Olive Oil/Coconut Oil/Castor Oil - The three musketeers of hair oils, these kitchen cupboard wonders have been used as natural conditioners for years. As an added bonus, they can be used to banish frizz and flyaways too!
- Avocado - Again! Rich in Vitamin E, this is best left on damp hair and wrapped in a towel or shower cap for a good half an hour before washing off for the ultimate natural hydration treatment.
- Aloe Vera - Extremely soothing for irritated, angry scalps, the gel from Aloe Vera can be directly applied in the same way as you use conditioner. Plus, it smells amazing.
Natural remedies are a low-cost alternative, so why not give it a try? If you would rather use ready to buy treatments, make sure to look for hair care products that include some of these natural ingredients, such as Nanogen’s range, which include ingredients such as aloe, chamomile, vitamin B and green tea!